A lot of moms get a clogged duct at one time or another during their breastfeeding journey. Some moms get the more than once. The really unlucky moms get them again and again. A clogged duct is a pain, literally.
You’ll know you have a clogged duct if you have a painful lump in your breast. You may have some redness where the lump is. You will usually only have a clogged duct in one breast.
I talked about all the painful lumps and bumps you can get in your breast in this post:
The fastest way to get rid of a clogged duct is a warm castor oil compress. All you need is a washcloth and some castor oil Organic Castor Oil 16 oz USDA Certified Organic, By Mary Tylor Naturals, Premium Grade, Cold Pressed, 100% Pure, Amazing Moisturizer for Skin Hair, Eyelashes Eyebrows and Hair Growth or a castor oil pack kit like Heritage Store Castor Oil Pack Kit.
- Fold the washcloth into quarters and get it damp with some warm water.
- Drizzle some castor oil on one side. Be generous but don’t let it get sloppy.
- Put the washcloth in the microwave.
- Start out the microwave time at 5 seconds and keep doing five seconds until it is nice and warm but not hot.
- It won’t take long for it to get too hot so be very careful.
- Apply the warm washcloth to the affected area of your breast and cover it with some plastic wrap and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash away the castor oil, especially if any got on your nipple. You definitely don’t want your baby eating any castor oil.
- Breastfeed and massage the lump toward your nipple.
- It may take more than one treatment to completely get rid of the clogged duct, but this has helped most women I know who have tried it, and they go back to a happy breastfeeding relationship.
Do you have any other remedies that you have heard of to treat a clogged duct? Let me know in the comments section.